Monday, October 22, 2012

Why read the Bible every day?

"I have hidden your word in my heart 
     that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11 


Today I celebrate a completion. I finished reading through the Bible, again. Tomorrow I will begin the journey once more. I began reading through my Bible some thirty years ago. I started by reading about five chapters a day and I have since slowed down to about one per day. I encourage you to read through the Bible at whatever pace you can. There is nothing like reading it through from cover to cover. 

I would just like to share a few things that reading through the Bible has done for me and hope that you will be encouraged to with patient endurance to let the Spirit of God work in you. 

First of all, I believe that by constantly "hearing" the truth I can more readily recognize the truth. Have you ever been listening to someone speak and you think to yourself that they said something incorrectly? That's because if you know a language you recognize when it doesn't sound right even if you can remember the rule. Sometimes while listening to someone say something about the Bible or God in general a little inner red flag will go up. Then as I listen further I will see why. You have heard that they teach people to recognize forgeries by knowing what real money looks like. Know the truth and you will recognize a lie. 

Secondly, I have been in discussions with people about the reality of God and the truth of the Scriptures and often someone will say, "You've probably never even read the whole thing." It is very powerful to be able to say, "Yes, I have. I have read it several times. I stopped counting at about thirteen some twenty years ago. Have you ever read it?" 

Lastly, disciplining myself to read the Bible on a daily basis reminds me to humbly seek God. Every day we are confronted and bombarded by a worldview that seeks to point us away from God. Jesus said that "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31b-32) Know the Bible, which points you to Christ, who is the truth and you will be free in him. 

So, I encourage you to start reading the Bible every day. Don't worry about how much, just read a comfortable amount for you. If you have read through the Bible and been blessed by doing so, I would really like to hear about it, so please leave a comment.

Father, help us to put your word in our hearts that we might not sin against you. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment