Friday, October 26, 2012

Knowing Christ, there is no substitute.

I had a friend once who had this little Datsun B210 that he had fixed up a bit. He thought it was pretty fast and he was convinced it could corner like a race car. Well, one day he was following a Porsche and the Porsche took the ninety degree corner without slowing down. He thought he could too. He ended up in the dirt bank after spinning out. I told him, "Porsche, there's no substitute." Sometimes you think everything is ok until you experience the real thing. Knowing Christ is like that.  
"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ." Philippians 3:7-8
When it comes to experiencing life, real life, once you know Christ and the power of his resurrection, you know that everything else is rubbish at best. Remember that Paul had just been describing how he had basically had it all before coming to Christ. He was all that he sought out to be. But, compared to knowing Christ, it was all nothing. 

The reality is that without Christ, everything else is just emptiness. The truth is that everyone has a God shaped hole inside that only he can fill. That never stops being true. Walking with God through your life will bring many opportunities to learn that truth anew. I learned that as a teenager many years ago. God filled the whole while I was in my twenties finishing school and hoping someone would fill it. The hole did not change when I got married in my thirties (apparently I am late for some things) and had children. Now, I am learning how knowing him through this time of my life fills the hole that only he can fill. I enjoy all that God has given me, but, nothing compares to just knowing him.

Where are you at in your life? I encourage you to remember that God still loves you. He is still Sovereign. He will always remain faithful, even when we are not. He will never leave you or forsake you. God has unfailing love for you today, right where you are at.

Father, thank you for yourself. May the surpassing greatness of knowing you permeate our lives. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment