Sunday, October 14, 2012

Need some light?

"The LORD is my light and my salvation - 
     whom shall I fear?
 The LORD is the stronghold of my life - 
     of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

There a few things in life that we all need. Direction and security are two of them. David reminds us that God gives us both. Let's start with security. 


David asks who he should fear and be afraid of if God is his God. First of all we need to revere God. Healthy children have both an affection and fear of their parents. Those who have no fear do foolish things. When I was in High School I saw my youth pastor punish his daughter once. What was amazing was that his daughter, in tears, jumped into her father's arms. You see, God's discipline does not reject us (which is what I grew up with), it returns us or brings us to repentance. 

God is our light and salvation. When we need direction and everything around us seems to be against us, God is our salvation. He is the place we go when we need to get some security and safety in our lives. A stronghold is where you go when you need to find a defensible position in the midst of a battle. Well, if you haven't noticed, you're in the middle of a spiritual battle for the mind and souls of you and your family! 

These are tough times for most of us. The economy is bad, the cost of living is going up and up. God is you stronghold. Look to him to guide you through these times. The Bible is your guidebook of truth. It will lead you to faith in God.

Father, thank you for being my light and salvation and the stronghold of my life. Be glorified in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment