Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Attitude of Nothingness

The Bible is so often in direct opposition to the culture of this world. For most the importance of one's attitude is that being positive can take you to new heights. But, as usual, the Bible turns the culture upside down. 
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:      Who, being in very nature God,        did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,     but made himself nothing,        taking on the very nature of a servant,        being made in human likeness." Philippians 2:5-7 
"Made himself nothing..." Did you get that? Christ Jesus, who is God, made himself nothing. What does that mean to me? It means that in relation to how I view others and act toward them: It's not about me. It's about serving others. I am nothing. That is hard to say because the world around me gears us to believe that if we don't look out for ourselves, look out for number one, no one else will. But, that is not true. God loves me. God has promised to provide for me. God said that he would never leave me or forsake me. 

Do you get it? Because I know God is Sovereign over my life and because he sent his Son to die for my sins I don't have to compete with anyone and everyone about anything and everything. So, if God is taking care of me, I am free to look outside myself to serve others. 

I have worked for and with two types of people. "Do this (for me) "people and "what can I do (help you succeed) for you" people. Do this for me people are really just interested in looking good. Because they are purely self-serving, when tough choices must be made, their underlying motivation is self glorification and not necessarily the good of the company or team. What can I do for you people help others succeed and the whole company succeeds. People like to work with and for someone who will help them succeed and consequently  will put out extra effort. 

Isn't it amazing that the Bible understands human nature at such a deep level?  Taking on the nature of a servant, considering yourself noting, are in direct opposition to everything this world believes and teaches. Yet, God tells us to take the same attitude as Christ Jesus: consider yourself nothing and serve others. He will take care of you.

What situation or circumstances are you currently confronted with? Do you need to consider yourself nothing and serve others?

Father, help us to have the same attitude as that of Christ Jesus. Thank you that as we consider ourselves nothing, you provide and care for us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment