Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Circle of Faith

A little fear is very good for you. When I was in my teens and twenties I worked construction and the Skill 77 saw was constantly in my hand. My parents had taught me to respect any tool I used because they each could cause incredible damage. So, every time I used it I trained myself to pick it up, cut with it and set it down, respecting its blade. Walking with God has a special mixture of fear and faith.
"- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling , for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:12b-13
I think it is difficult for people to understand the fear of God . Yet, it is a vital element in a healthy relationship with God. I have dealt with a lot of young people as an educator for the last twenty some years. At the beginning of each year I have students complete a drawing where they show their family, the person they fear the most, the person they love the most and themselves. Many students have a parent or both parents for both fear and love. That is normal and very healthy. A little fear keeps people from doing a lot of stupid things. My mom used to tell me, "If you get thrown in jail, I'm not getting out of bed to come get you." The message wasn't just expect to spend the night in jail. The message was to expect to reap what I sowed. Yes, it did cross my mind many times as a teenager and kept me out of a lot of trouble. That and the grace of God.

That leads me to the other side of the equation. On the one side we respect that God will honor our choices and allow to us to reap what we sow. On the other side, we have the incredible sovereignty and grace of God. We trust God and he works in us and around our lives. If I look back upon my life I see time after time where God worked his will and good purpose, even despite me. Frankly, sometimes it is like God gave me just the right amount of stupidity to miss the opportunity to sin. That is the grace of God! What does Romans 8:28 remind us? That God works out all things for good for those who are called according to his purposes. I guess you could call it the circle of faith. 

Father, thank you for your grace to us. Help us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, knowing that it is you that works in us to act according to your good purpose. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment