Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Whatever happens...


"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. " Philippians 1:27a

I was playing a round a golf a short time ago with a few friends of mine and just in front of the tee was a pond. Just before I hit the ball, one of them said, "Don't hit it in the water." What did I do? Kerplunk,  right in the middle of the water! I had been trying to tell myself to aim past the water. The point is that I hit it right where my focus went to after being "encouraged" to not hit it the water. Paul chose a very different tact when he sought to encourage us. Focus on the positive, acting in a worthy manner. 

We are living in very difficult times. My wife and I were talking just last night how virtually everyone we know is experiencing financial struggles and as you know, when the finances are under pressure everything else seems to feel the squeeze too. In times like these we need to remember to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. I have worked in education for over twenty years so I am not too concerned about losing my job, but I am greatly concerned because of furlough days. My pay has been significantly cut. This has been going on for over a year and looks to get worse. Well, how do I conduct myself in response to someone else's choices that affect my ability to provide for my family?

We need to seek God and ask him to guide us. That is the where we need focus. The current trials are like the water hazard placed directly in front of the tee, they can not be our focus. Our focus and faith is on God. God is Sovereign. He has unfailing love for us. He will work all things out for the good of those who are called according to his purposes (Romans 8:28).

The simple to do: Trust God in the current trail. Psalm 50:23 reminds us,"He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God."

Father, help us to be thankful and to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment