Thursday, March 7, 2013

TO LEAD YOU FAMILY, SERVE YOUR FAMILY: I Timothy 3:6

There is a marked difference between how Christ viewed leadership and how the world views leadership. Christ emphasized that if you want to be great you serve (Mark 9:35), while the world emphasizes being served. Humble leadership is what builds a family.
"He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgement as the devil." I Timothy 3:6
The point of family leadership isn't to always get your way. The need isn't to be always right. The goal is that I live as Christlike as I can and seek to allow Christ to reign in my family. 

The danger is when I (either spouse actually) seek to be king  of my castle and impose my will upon my subjects. The problem that Paul recognized with recent converts becoming church leaders was that they were easily tricked into thinking that their worthiness was warranted because of their innate righteousness. They became conceited. Think about Moses when he smote the rock the second time (Numbers 20:9-11). He got into trouble not because he got angry, but because he said, "Must we" as in God and I!  God will not share his glory. 

As a father. I am a sinful human, saved by grace, to live a life of faith by loving my family, which happens to be other sinful humans. I serve. I love. I forgive. I love. I serve. 

Father, help us to serve our families by faith in love. Thank you for you unfailing love and mercy for us! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment