Tuesday, March 12, 2013

LEAD WITH SINCERITY: I Timothy 3:8

When I was growing up my brother and I would fight from time to time. After a good scolding and perhaps some well deserved punishment, our parents would make us shake hands and apologize. I'm not sure I was always sincerely sorry (because, as you know, he started it). When you think someone is not sincere, you tend to keep and eye out for that person. 
"Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain." I Timothy 3:8 
The KJV translates the word, "double tongued". I have a friend of mine who over commits himself. So, he's a fit flaky sometimes. But, I don't think he's insincere. Whereas I know some people who will look you right in the eye, promise to do something, and will never even attempt to do what they said they would. I had a boss who was like that recently. The disunity and problems that resulted from their actions was not good, to say the least.  

As a husband and father, I must be sincere and not double tongued.   If my family can not count on be to do what I say, disunity will be the result. There will be problems as it is, that's just part of life. But, if I compound those challenges by not being reliable and trustworthy, it will just add to the degree of difficulty.

Remember, actions speak louder than words. Sincerity is sealed by what you do. When I was in college, I had the Dean of men a bit worried. I had a tendency to question authority. But, I wasn't rebellious.  I was the dorm council president my senior year. The previous president was constantly doing and saying things of questionable nature and ended up stealing money from the school. He was kicked out of school. So, when I was elected they were worried because they thought questioning why equaled being rebellious. At the end of my senior year the Dean of men called me into his office and said that I never once showed bad judgement and they learned they could trust me to do the right thing. I was not double tongued. I became trustworthy in their eyes. Sometimes that's the way sincerity works. What we do proves our sincerity.

Father, help us to be sincere and not double tongued. Praise be to you in us today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment