Thursday, March 14, 2013

GAIN WITH HONESTY: I Timothy 3:8

There is a law for contractors that you are not allowed to pay for job B with money from job A. The law is there because people see large amounts of money and think it would be all right if they just spent a bit on a new truck or new car or whatever. I saw many an up and coming contractor fall prey to the temptation to borrow from job B to pay for job A because they spent the money from job A already. I saw one man go from one of the top contractors to swimming in ponds at golf courses for lost golf balls. It was that bit of greed that got him.
"Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain."              I Timothy 3:8 
Remember, making a lot of money is not evil. Making it dishonestly is evil. My father had a business partner that he met through church once. They were going to build and sell some spec homes (houses built on the speculation that someone will buy them once they were built). My dad put up some of the money to buy land and sold the homes. Dad actually sold a few dozen homes before they were even built. As they started building the homes the partner started buying new cars and trucks and all kinds of things. The problem is he was using the money that was designated to pay for building materials to pay for the cars and trucks and stuff. The partner ended up fleeing the area and leaving my dad with a huge problem of promised homes. Dad dealt with it, honestly. 

As a husband and father, like a church leader, I must not be someone who is pursuing financial gains dishonestly. If I do, I put my family in danger. I need to be a person who seeks to act honestly in all things. Paul says to stand firm with the belt of truth buckled around you waste (Ephesians 6:14). The soldiers belt would sort of hold the uniform together. Truth holds a lot of things together. 

Seek to live honestly. God will bless that. You will be at peace.

Father, help us to seek to provide for our families with honesty and integrity. Praise be to you in us today!


No comments:

Post a Comment