Tuesday, March 19, 2013

BE BLESSED BY SERVING: I Timothy 3:13

My family and I have been attending our church for a few years now. We know a few people. I really enjoy the teaching and there is a great youth group. The deal is this: When we go on Sundays we don't really connect that much. I attend the men's study on Wednesday mornings but, it is when we have served that we feel most connected. Attendance does not equal partnership. 
"Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus." I Timothy 3:13
I don't know how else to say this except that the deeper my involvement in church, the deeper my relationship with Christ seems to grow. What Paul is talking about is more than the superficial idea that someone looks up to you as a leader. The idea is that serving Christ's people draws you closer to Christ. 

After washing his disciple's feet Jesus told them that they should do the same for others. Then he said, "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them" (John 13:17). Going to church and hearing about Christ's love and getting a warm fuzzy isn't the same thing because that is not putting you faith in action. There is a blessing that can only come from serving others. That does not mean you have to serve as a Overseer or Deacon, you just need to serve. I saw the guy who sets up the coffee for church talking with/encouraging someone the other day while he was setting out the coffee. And tomorrow morning when I get up early and go to the men's study I am blessed to be able to grab a cup of coffee! 

What's the to do? Just serve. 

Father, you have given each of us a gift a service in our church. Help us to find our place and serve. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment