Friday, March 1, 2013

STRENGTH BY GENTLENESS: I Timothy 3:2-3

Occasionally I will watch the Discovery Channel and one of the shows is called "The Devils Ride" which is a "reality" TV series about a biker gang. What is pretty obvious is that most of the members pretty much enjoy being intoxicated and fighting. The one I saw the other night involved one member "having a little fun" by dragging a bike from a rival gangs member around and messing it up. Then a war breaks out between the two gangs. That generally the results of drunkenness mixed with a violent temperament. These are not men who qualify for spiritual leadership.  
"Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money." I Timothy 3:2-3
A results of one member of the Laughing Devils actions was that the rival gang began following one of Laughing Devils "ol' ladies". Putting your family in harms way or in danger is not manhood as God sees it, nor is it good family leadership. That is why Paul tells Timothy that spiritual leaders should not to be given to drunkenness and not to be violent but to be gentle. That does not mean to be a wimp and not protect your family. 

What Paul is talking about is control. What controls or governs your actions? Are you led by your allegiance to Christ or does your anger govern your choices and actions? There are some people who always seem to argue and fighting seems to be the only way to resolve anything. Constant drama. 

As a husband and a father I have to make sure that the Spirit of God is controlling my actions because I am living in obedience and by faith. If I am not controlled by Christ, I will be controlled by something, namely my sinful nature. The sinful nature loves to brawl, loves to get its' way, loves to do whatever makes it feel good for the moment. The result is usually havoc and destruction. My marriage and children do not need any violence. They need me to be a godly man not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle. 

Father, help us to be controlled by you as we seek to live in obedience and by faith. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment