Friday, November 2, 2012

Where do you aim your actions?

I am sure you have heard the old saying that if you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time. Well, that holds true spiritually too. And for me it often boils down to what do I feed my mind and what choices for my actions am I considering. That is why I believe that reading the Bible on a daily basis is so important. What does Paul, in the Bible, tells us to think about?
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever  you have seen learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9
I want to think about this with relationships in mind. Think about your marriage, your children, your co-workers, the people you hang out with. Are you dealing with others in truthful ways? With nobility? With righteousness? With Purity, loveliness, is it admirable, excellent or praiseworthy? 

Paul encourages us to view and to act in truthful, noble, righteous, pure, lovely, anything admirable, excellent and praiseworthy actions. That is a lot of different yet positive channels for my thoughts and plans to go through. Sometimes, just my attitude can make the difference in how I do something. I wake up about and hour and a half before anyone in the house. I like to have some time alone with God. Often, the dishwasher is full of "Clean" dishes. I will admit that I like it better when it says "Dirty" because then I don't have to empty it. But, if I put the dishes away "as unto the Lord" I don't allow myself to think anything like, "Why are these stupid things always left for my in the morning? I don't need any chores first thing when I wake up." Get it?

I have worked with and for people who value others and treat them with respect. I have also worked for some people who pretty much left me with the desire to punch them in the mouth. (Just being real.) One principal I worked with, Dr. Charles, treated people like professionals and expected them act like professionals. He had a lot of buy-in and cooperation from his staff. I have sought to put that into practice whenever I had the opportunity and it has always payed off. 

So, whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable - aim for it and put it into practice!

Father, help us to see these things and put them into practice. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment