Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How to give Christ the supremacy in your life.

One class I took in graduate school was memorable. For two reasons. One reason was that the teacher was an absolute nutcase. The other was the "group" assignment she gave the class. The make up of the class was sixty professionals, already in school leadership positions of some sort, seeking their administrative degree/credential in urban school leadership. Sixty A-type personalities trying to vote on a leader and a project. To this day I believe we were actually a test group for a sociology experiment. Who knows who the leader really was because we all thought we should be the leader! Well, in our walks with Christ, and in the church only Christ is the real leader. 
"And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy." Colossians 1:18
Christ must have the supremacy. He is the head. Not a figure head that is there just for looks, but the actual leader, the Lord. 

I don't want to just ask the question. "Is Christ the head of your life? All of it?" I want to apply some real tangible ways we can submit to the Lordship and Supremacy of Christ in our lives.

In my finances I can let Christ reign. I can do this by making biblical choices with my spending. I can trust God to fulfill me, not the things I buy. I can tithe. To tithe is to trust.

I can love my spouse by being patient with them, as Christ is patient with me. I can love and respect them. I can encourage them. Remember actions can speak louder than words. 

I can guide my children in the ways of the Lord. Again, my action, my example is my word. I remember my dad actually saying some pretty stupid stuff about people, but, how I saw him treat people, regardless of their race or gender, shaped how I treat people with respect today. 

I can look out for the needs of others at work and in society as a whole. I am a leader in my sons Cub Scout Pack and I coach my children's sports teams whenever I can. I can treat the other parents and their children with respect. As a teacher and a leader I always try to treat other peoples children like I would like my own treated which I believes is with Christ's love. 

My only question is: By what actions can you give Christ the supremacy in your life? 

Father, may Christ have the supremacy in our lives today! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment