Friday, November 9, 2012

Be Filled with the Knowledge of God's Will

Have you ever asked yourself what you should pray for when you pray for yourself, your spouse, your children, friends or missionaries? Look to the prayers of Paul. 
"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may please him in every way." Colossians 1:9-10a
Everybody needs to know the will of God and I know I need wisdom, spiritual wisdom to guide me through this life. In James we are told to ask for wisdom if we need it ( James 1:5). I will say that if I ask for wisdom I should also be reading the Word of God. The Bible is the one place I know I will find what God has spoken: wisdom, guidance and truth. 

Wisdom, in one sense, is knowing what the truth is in relation to the circumstances you find yourself. Understanding is how to live according to what you know is true and worthy of God, or in other words how the truth applies to what you are going through right now. 

Pleasing God is the end or reason for seeking to act in a manner worthy of Christ. Does what I ask for please God? Sometimes we have to ask, "Father, are you pleased with this? Are you glorified in this?" 

So, as you pray for yourself, your family and your life...

Father, fill us with the knowledge of you will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. May we live lives worthy of you, pleasing you in every way. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment