Friday, November 30, 2012

Legalism vs the Reality in Christ

My youngest sons watches this one show called Spinjitzu. In one episode a want-to-be Spinjitzu master was showing off his "skills". He was obviously just making stuff up. When confronted, he was crushed. He tried to look like a warrior but just putting on a uniform and throwing his arms and legs around didn't make him truly a Spinjitzu master. In the same way just because someone does a few religious acts, that does not make them a Christian. 
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are just a shadow of things that are to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." Colossians 2:16-17 
Legalism, always seeks to lure us into it's pseudo religious forms. It has not changed from the early church to now. Legalism focuses on what you do, not faith in Christ who works in you. To me, legalism stems from our sincere desire to please God and walk with him in spirit and in truth. But, it is not always easy because the Spirit deals in the deepest parts of our inner beings, exposing and purifying areas that we have avoided our entire lives. 

Legalism appears to be a quick fix because if everyone just obeys the rules then no one gets hurt. The reality is that even if everyone does obey the rules, people still get hurt. Sin happens. Legalism does not produce spirituality or prevent sin. 

But, Paul says that all those "religious" activities are just shadows of the reality found in Christ. I have found that sometimes I sin despite the fact that I am reading my Bible on a daily basis, praying, going to church, trying to serve, and when the opportunity arises witnessing. I am not saying I shouldn't do those things, I am just noting that sometimes I can become legalistic in that "doing" spiritual things become more important than the connection to God in Christ that I was seeking when I first started trying to spiritually discipline myself.

What's the point? The point is that connecting with Christ by faith in his death on the cross is where spirituality happens, not in the observance of "spiritual" activities. The reality is that Jesus died for our sins and he ever lives to intercede for us. We are made holy by Christ's death. We accept this truth and live accordingly. God loves you. Be blessed today!

Father, thank you for the reality found in Christ. Open our eyes to see and our hearts to accept your grace in our lives. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment