Tuesday, April 2, 2013

WHO DESERVES HONOR?/ I Timothy 5:17

As a teacher I see it all the time. Students who have no respect for anyone. Then I meet their parents and it is apparent why. The idea of teaching your children to honor and respect their elders is long gone from our society. In a real sense I believe that much of the current generation does not know what an honorable person is, does and looks like. So, it is easy for them to be misled by someone with a strong personality. In all of life, including the church, it is very important to know who to honor as a leader.
"The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching." I Timothy 5:17
In the church it should be pretty easy to tell who the leaders are. Who is serving, preaching and teaching? Notice that Paul goes beyond simply serving and says, "direct the affairs of the church well". He emphasizes that some minister "well". Who should be honored in the church? Those who serve well. 

What does this tell me? It tells me that I need to be an honorable man by serving well, not just serving to say I did it, but, serving well. It also encourages me to do all things well, as unto the Lord. As I go to work today, I need to bring honor to God by doing the tasks set before me well. 

So, I encourage you  to honor those who serve well in your church and also to serve well yourself, in all your life.

Father, help us to serve well in all we do and bring honor and praise to you today! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment