Monday, April 8, 2013

THE VALUE OF GODLINESS: I Timothy 6:11

You can pursue a lot of things in life. We all want the best for our families, especially our children. My daughter just completed a class at our church and at the end there was a nice ceremony where the girls all dressed up and the fathers sort of blessed them publicly. My wife and my daughter took a bit of time finding the right dress for the occasion and she (of course) looked beautiful. But, it is not the dress that I value. Rather, it is the looked in her eyes, welling up with tears, as I spoke about the woman of God I see her becoming, that I treasure. 
"But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness." I Timothy 6:11
You can pursue money or things that cost a lot of money, but that does not produce the godly contentment that Paul encourages Timothy, and us, to seek. What does hold value is the pursuit of righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Striving to be righteous and godly in our actions, acting in faith shone in love, enduring trials and responding with gentleness, this is the pursuit that produces the riches of godly contentment. 

Father, help us to seek to please you and by faith to live content knowing you will supply us our every need in Christ Jesus. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment