Friday, April 19, 2013

THE GRACE OF HOLINESS: II Timothy 1:9

"Who has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time". II Timothy 1:9

God didn't call you or me because we were particularly special or anything. He just saved us because he is gracious and we really need his grace. And he called us for a purpose. He called us to be holy. 

The problem I have with being holy is that I often confuse holiness with perfectionism, what some might call sinless perfectionism. I know I am not perfect and I sometimes can get down on myself because I know that I am but a man. I know that I John 1:8 says, "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." Yet, sometimes I can't believe I still struggle with some things! It seems that God is not surprised or taken aback, just me. The point is that being holy is more about reliance upon the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross than me not being perfect. That is good news!

Father, thank you for the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross. Thank you that your grace stretches this far. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment