Friday, December 28, 2012

THE MESSAGE IN YOU RINGS OUT - I Thessalonians 1:8

Sometimes our decisions and choices are so different from the norm that we stand out like a sore thumb. Last month the 1/2 of the popular TV sitcom 2 1/2 Men, Angus T. Jones, came out asked people to stop watching his TV show. After becoming a Seventh Day Adventist he now recognizes the series doesn't have anything to do with God and doesn't want to have anything to do with God and is just filling peoples heads with filth. Contrast that to Charlie Sheen who was ousted from the show for moral turpitude. Angus has asked people not to watch the show while Sheen just wants people to watch him (doing immoral things). When you decide to live a godly life the very choices can ring out like a bell on a silent night. 
"The Lord's message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia - your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore we do not need to say anything about it."  I Thessalonians 1:8
You may not immediately see it or feel it but the choices that you make to live by faith in Christ ring out in this dark and evil world. When the whole office wants to go party and you don't because you know God doesn't want you to get drunk. Your choice rings out. When everyone else is telling and laughing at off-color jokes and you don't and walk away. Your message rings out. When others choose to fudge the numbers and you don't, your message ring's out. 

Do you ever get asked what you are going to do this weekend? Do you ever say, "and on Sunday we're going to church"? Don't you think that kind of makes your faith known? It does. Paul commends the Thessalonians because their faith has become know everywhere. Think about it this way: Your faith has become known in every part of your life. 

I try to be a good dad and be involved in my children's lives as much as I can. I help with his Cub Scout Pack, manage and coach their sports teams and just do what I can. Here's the deal: how I act demonstrates what I believe. What I truly believe. How I treat people will show what I really think about them. I am a teacher. Kids know if you really care about them or not. What I believe I live out. By the grace of God, my faith becomes known everywhere. 

One of the best things about being a Christian is we have Jesus and how he treats us as the example of what we are supposed to live like. He died for us. He ever lives to intercede on our behalf. He is preparing a place for us in heaven. He sent the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into all truth. He washed his disciples feet. Do you get it? We love because he first loved us. 

Father, thank you for showing us the way. Thank you that we can shine like stars in this dark and evil world. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment