Monday, December 17, 2012

HAVE THE CHRISTIAN WORK ETHIC

The work ethic. I have worked with a lot of different people. I put them in two camps. People who do things for show and people who  do just do.  As Christians, are motivation is to do everything for God.
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24
I think it is very important to note that the passage says, "Whatever you do". This means that everything in our lives should be under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. There is no separation of "church and state" so to speak in Christianity. Every part of our lives is considered the Kingdom of God. Everything is spiritual. 

I have worked with a lot of different people. When I first began teaching I noticed that some veteran teachers would just smile and shut their door and out came students who learned. It did not matter what policy change or which administrator came and went, they just did what they knew worked and worked hard at doing it. You know, it does not matter what people think or do around us, "as working for the Lord" is to be our motivation and standard. 

The end that we seek is the inheritance we will receive in heaven. This is our reward. Yes, I believe that sometimes our hard work will be rewarded and we will receive some promotions and blessings here on earth. But, I also know that sometimes things don't go the way I think they should and at least where I work, occasionally "no good deed goes unpunished". But, I know that because my work ethic is based upon serving Christ, I have the respect of my co-workers. Most importantly, I know that I am honoring and pleasing God. 

I encourage you to not give up. Do all you do as unto the Lord. If you know you are doing your best to please him, the rest is up to him. 

Father, help us to do everything with all our hearts and honor you. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment