Tuesday, December 11, 2012

LOVE, THE PERFECT BINDER

God has created us and we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Ligaments and skin are two amazing features we have that bind us together, enabling us to function in perfect unity. Spiritually, love does the same thing. 
"And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:14 
In I Corinthians 13:1-3 we are reminded that spirituality without love is nothing. Like feeding the poor with a judgmental attitude about why they are poor, would not be in love and would be nothing. But, here in Colossians Paul emphasizes the need to unite all the compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience with love. 

Many moons ago when I was in college I separated my right shoulder playing soccer. I was told it was a "minor" separation. The separation was really a ligament from the bone. The ligament helps the bones and the muscles work together in perfect unity. I couldn't fully use my arm for quite awhile.  It was very difficult taking finals with a separated shoulder since I write with my right hand. As it healed I was able to use my arm pretty much as normal. I needed everything to work together. 

Love, agape (in the Greek), shown through forgiveness and demonstrated with the virtues of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience is spiritual maturity and completeness. Just like the reminder that we forgive because the Lord forgave us, we are compassionate because the Lord was and is compassionate toward us. 

Think of your spouse. Think of your children. Think of your co-workers. How can you show any of these virtues today? 

Father, thank you that you first loved us. Thank you for your forgiveness and compassion toward us. Help us to love as you have loved us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment