Thursday, December 27, 2012

IMITATE CHRIST

Larry Csonka about to crash the line!
Who do you imitate? As a kid I remember playing football at school and everybody would say the name of the player they were attempting to play like. At the time the Miami Dolphins were the best team and when I got the ball I would put my head down, charge into the line and scream, "Larry Csonka!" The Thessalonians imitated the Apostle Paul's team and the Lord.
"You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit." I Thessalonians 1:6 
Paul told the Corinthians, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." (I Corinthians 11:1) Do you know godly people? That is who you are to emulate. During my junior and senior years in high school the Lord really got a hold of my life. The high school youth pastor had a big influence in my life; Pastor Jim. One day I was at his house and his daughter (maybe 4 years old at the time) disobeyed him. He gave her a little swat on the fanny. She grabbed her little behind, began to cry, spun around and jumped into her daddy's arms. Now, when I was punished by my dad I never felt like I could go to him because rejection was part of the punishment. So, I saw what godly discipline looked like and when I was entrusted with a family of my own that was what I tried to imitate.  

What is really important is that godly examples lead us to imitate Christ. God does not reject us. He may discipline us, but, he does not reject us. Remember we love because he first loved us. As a husband Paul exhorts me to love my wife like Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Ephesians 5:25-26). Christ loved us and still loves us when we are, to be blunt, unlovable. We are to do likewise. 

Imitate the Lord and be an imitator of those who best imitate the Lord. There will be plenty of opportunities to be Christlike. Remember Christ washed his disciples feet and told them to do likewise. The fruit that we get to enjoy from imitating Christ is very good. When I am godly and Christlike in my relationships there is always, at the very least, an opening of grace for God to work through. 

Father, help us to not only imitate godly people but to be godly examples to our children, family,friends and co-workers. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment