Friday, September 14, 2012

What is your mission?

There is no adequate illustration to help us see how great the grace of God is. God's grace, experienced through our faith, is something he chooses to give us. It is more than a parent helping their child walk, holding their hands as they wobble along. It is more than a judge declaring a guilty person innocent. The grace that God freely gives to us cost him his Son. 
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:8-10 
The grace of God is more because God, our creator has something for us to do, a mission. In one way or another we are all part of the great commission (Matthew 28:18-20). We were "created in Christ Jesus to do good works." Do you get that? Do you know that God has a specific use for you in his kingdom? 

I remember my dad when he first gave his life to Christ did not think he could witness, but God would send people to him who would almost say, "What must I do to be saved?" These were men who would not go to church and I am sure would of thought of our pastor as not really being a mans man, but, God had prepared my dad to be someone they could relate to. Dad also helped the church deal with some permits and issues with building that the pastors were not equipped to deal with. So, my point is that God has works for us to do that we were created to do. 

I work in a middle school and I often deal with some hard to deal with kids. You see, I struggled in school and I was a bit of a, shall we say, punk. So, I kind of get these kids. I don't excuse them, I am actually pretty hard on them, but, they come see me after school, try to get in my class the next year, and always say hello politely. They know I am a Christian and I hope that someday the Spirit of God will use that to draw these kids to himself. 

What good works does God have for you? Have you seen how God has prepared you? 

Father, open our eyes to see the good works we can do at home, at work and in the friendships you have already placed in our lives. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment