Friday, May 3, 2013

YOU CAN'T ARGUE SOMEONE INTO THE KINGDOM: II Timothy 2:23

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels." II Timothy 2:23

When I first started teaching there was a group of guys who started teaching couple years after me. They were all atheists and liberals. When they found out I was a Christian and not a liberal they just couldn't believe it and would ask all kinds of questions. I would ask them a few. The discussion would usually turn into a full on argument brawl. After a while I just told them that if they really wanted to know why I believe what I believe, just ask. They did and in the end about three guys found their way to Christ. 

I also notice that I have become a bit more tactful myself. I found that you need to always allow someone a way out, because, if you back someone into a corner (even verbally) they usually will try to fight their way out. Francis Schaeffer said that he once debated an atheist and when he got home his wife asked him if he won the debate. He said yes, but he'd never do it again because he felt that he beat the guy up so bad that he would never come to Christ. Truth without love can just be a battering ram. 

You can't quarrel/ argue someone into the kingdom. You may give an answer to your beliefs and that may be an opening to share the gospel. Proverbs 15:1 reminds us that, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Remember, the goal is to turn people to Christ, not away from him. 

Father, give us grace to gently answer those question or challenge our beliefs. May we turn people to you, not away from you. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment