Sunday, May 26, 2013

GOD'S LOVE, DAY OR NIGHT: Psalm 42:8

"By day the LORD directs his love,
     at night his song is with me - 
     a prayer to the God of my life."
 Psalm 42:8  


In the middle of a prayer of longing comes a reminder of the truth: God is directing his love toward you. It is so easy to focus on the feeling of aloneness, isn't it? That is the result of sin, being without hope and without God in this world. 

A very good friend of mine had a very difficult time dealing with the death of his mother. For years he struggled with it. I tried to be empathetic. My biological father had died just after my aunt. My buddy was angry with God for taking his mom. It was hard because he just wouldn't come to grips that everyone dies. In his mind if God loved him he would not have let his mother die. Finally, he came to the place where he could grieve and move on in the knowledge that God loved him.

Sometimes we are in the midst of a "Where are you God?" time. If you are remember that it is not about your feelings, it is about the truth of God's love. The truth is that God directs his love toward us and day or night his Presence is with us. 

Father, thank you that by day you direct you love toward me and at night you put a song in my heart. Help me to live by faith in that truth. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment