Thursday, January 17, 2013

NEEDED: YOU: I Thessalonians 5:14

Sometimes I need to leave my class to meet with parents and other staff members. Another teacher will cover my class. Just before I leave I give them a few important instructions. Paul gives the Thessalonians a few last instructions that I think can help us too.
"And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone." I Thessalonians 5:14 
There is a certain group of people, you know, the ones who always start conversations with expressions like, "You know what you should do..." or, "Why don't they...". They're the "Here I am send him/her" people. They tend to be critical but not helpful. That is why Paul instructs the whole church, not just the leadership, to warn those who are idle. Did you get that? He tells them to warn them, not help them. In II Thessalonians 3:10 Paul reminds them that he told them, "If a man will not work, he shall not eat.

Then we are told to encourage the timid. Some versions translate this as feeble-minded. Some people just need to encouragement to get going. Who do you know who needs you to encourage them? 

Next we are to help the weak. We all have our strength. We all have our weaknesses. If you think you don't, that's yours. Sometimes to be Christlike is to just come along side someone and sort of walk with them from time to time.

Finally, be patient with everyone. That's the reality, isn't it. We all need to be recipients of someone else's patience more often than we know. That's when we get back to the truth that we love because Christ first loved us. God's is very patient with me. I have no right to not be patient with someone else. I am not saying it is easy, I am only saying it is what we are called to do. 

Father, thank you for your warnings, encouragement, help and patience towards us. Thank you for your love. Help us to love as you loved us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment