Thursday, January 10, 2013

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF: I Thessalonians 4:11-12

When I turned sixteen my parents told me I could wear the clothes I wanted and do several things I wanted to, I just had to pay for them myself. So, I got a job. My parents taught my siblings and I the work ethic and self reliance this way. It is our family culture. It has been passed down the generations and I believe it is Biblical. The following verses in Thessalonians teach us to self reliant. 
"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."                  I Thessalonians 4:11-12
I guess this is why I have such a hard time with much of the political message of those on the left. It is a very dangerous thing to start talking about having the right to anything other than the pursuit of happiness. I have the right to mind my own business and work for what I want. 

I know this sounds a bit political but, if anyone tells me that my beliefs should not influence my political opinions then they are being entirely dishonest about why they vote the way they do.  

What Paul is telling the Thessalonians to do is to focus on providing for themselves. Remember, Paul was a self-supporting missionary. He provided for needs by his own tent making business and then served others. He is talking to people who were waiting for the second coming of Christ. They were forgetting to take care of the here and now. Paul reminds them that being a disciple of Christ is being a servant of Christ. We are to be givers. We work so that we might give. 

This isn't really about giving money because Paul worked to take care of his personal needs so he could be a minister of the gospel with out asking for money. Like Paul we should make it our ambition to not be dependent on anyone so that we might serve others.

Fathers, help us to be able to serve others. Provide jobs for those who need them. Use us to share your gospel with the world around us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment