Wednesday, January 2, 2013

APPROVED BY GOD: I Thessalonians 2:4

I was a typical teen ager. A bit irresponsible and a tad crazy with moving vehicles under my control. So, my father was wise to not  trust me with a car at sixteen. I didn't appreciate it until a few years later. At nineteen I was living on my own and working for a company that was building condos. One day my dad called and told me he would like to let me use the Ford truck. I was stunned. He said that because he saw that my boss was letting me use the company truck and I was taking care of myself he thought I could be trusted with the truck. As Christians we should seek God's approval.
"On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts." I Thessalonians 2:4
The Apostle Paul was making a few very important points about his own ministry that I believe are reminders to us. One is the we are entrusted with the gospel and the other is that we should try to please God, not men. 

When my father called and told me he wanted to let me use the truck I was blown away because trust had been a pretty big issue between us. So, when he entrusted me with his truck I knew I had his approval which was of course very important too. God entrusts us with the gospel. Our responsibility is to try to be act accordingly. When the Holy Spirit provides an opportunity to share the gospel in any way consider that God's approval because he is entrusting you to share his love with someone else. Someone who needs to know that God loves them so much that he sent his One and Only Son to die for their sins. You don't have to lay out the whole Roman Road or Four Spiritual laws every time but, sow the seeds. I have been telling a friend at work for two years now that I would pray for his daughter (she has some physical issues and has been through several operations) and it wasn't until a month ago that he asked me to pray. The seed is beginning to take root. 

Here's the deal. God's approval is what matters most. That doesn't mean I am insensitive to others, it just means that I should be concerned with doing things God's way. Billy Stracum, who was the head of Capernwray Bible School in England, used to say that everyone wants to be a polishing rag becomes it makes people feel good but, God had made him a rasp. He tried to be a polishing rag but, it didn't work out well. I can tell you that although he wasn't afraid to tell you the truth he wasn't unloving. I probably learned more about being a humble servant as a leader that year from Billy than I ever learned from anyone else. He wasn't trying to  please everyone, just God. 

In the end it is God who tests our hearts which only he can see. He knows our motives. That is why we remember that we are entrusted by God with the gospel, which is a very good thing, and we try to please him, not others.

Father, thank you for entrusting us with the gospel. Help us to please you as we step out in faith. Praise be to you in us today!

Have you been entrusted by God in some special way lately? If so, let us know in the comment section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment