Monday, January 28, 2013

FAITH AND LOVE THAT GROWS: II Thessalonians 1:3

Occasionally, we forget that we are supposed to see some actual changes to our lives. Yes, sometimes the inner work seems slow and it is hard to notice what God is doing, but, there are a few things we should be able to "monitor". 
"We ought always to thank God for you, brothers, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love every on of you has for each other is increasing." II Thessalonians 1:3
This verse contains two parts of our walk with God that we should always have in mind. One is our faith, which is toward God, and the other is love which is toward others. 

It all starts with our faith in God. Why do we read our Bibles and pray every day? To know more about God. To increase our faith in God. We attend church and listen to sermons to increase our faith in God. We read devotional blogs. Our faith does not grow without activity. We must take steps of faith. At church, Pastor Christ is challenging us to follow what moves us, what makes us hurt for others. I am being challenged to increase my faith, to step out and allow myself to be used by God. 

This leads us to the other half of the verse. Our love for each other. Love grows, matures  and increases if nurtured. I am nearing my sixteenth year of marriage. How I demonstrate my love for my wife now can be a bit different than when I first met her. I don't actually say as much. I try to do more. I love my children in different ways now than when they were babies. I am involved with Scouting and coaching for my children. I try to love other parents in those positions. 

As Christians, we grow and we mature. Our faith in God and our love for others should grow and mature too. How has your faith and love grown and matured?

Father, help our faith in you and our love for each other to grow and mature in Christ. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment