Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What I Need to Hear, Not What I Want to Hear

For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.
Philippians 1:29-30 NIV

Let's face it, sometimes we only hear what we want to hear. We'll listen to a sermon and "critique" it. Not because it wasn't the truth, but, it just wasn't what we "needed" to hear. Maybe it was but, we just weren't willing to hear it. 

Suffering is never what we really want to hear is part of the plan. But, it is. Barry McGuire wrote a song (From a poem by Robert Browning Hamilton) entitled Walked a Mile and the chorus was
Walked a mile with pleasureShe chattered all the wayLeft me none the wiserWith all she had to sayWalked a mile with sorrowNever a word said sheBut oh the things I learned from herWhen sorrow walked with me
Hearing that suffering is what we need may not be the best news we can hear, but knowing that in all things God works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28) is what we need to know. God uses trials and suffering to mold us into the image of Christ Jesus our Savior and Lord. Remember Christ suffered for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment