Monday, May 18, 2015

From Strength to Strength or Tears to Blessings

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
   whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
   they make it a place of springs;
   the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength,
   till each appears before God in Zion.
Psalms 84:5-7 NIV

Sometimes we refer to the valleys and mountain top experiences of our lives. I think it's easy to get caught up in the idea of somethings wrong if we are in a "valley". That's what encourages me in these verses: It's not about valleys and mountain tops, it's about finding your strength in the source of strength, God. 

Notice that it says "from strength to strength", not from mountain top to mountain top. What is important is to know our strength is in Christ. In verse 6 the Valley of Baca can mean the Valley of Tears. Interesting word picture. Sometimes the battle is tough, and even brings us to a point of tears. The psalmist proclaims that even in the valley, when we make God our strength, we make a valley of tears into a valley of pools or blessings!

What this leads me to do is ask myself if I am trying to get to a mountain top or to my strength which is found in God alone. These verses exhort me to look to God to be my strength. I encourage you to remember that God is your strength not matter where you are and he will turn your tears into blessings.

1 comment: