Monday, September 16, 2013

DO YOU NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER?

"We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised." Hebrews 6: 11-12 

One of the things I don't appreciate about some of the online "devotional" pages on say Facebook or Google+ is that they are all about the warm fuzzy. You're supposed to read it, get a little warm fuzzy inside and move on to a blessed day. Sometimes (a lot of times times) we really need something more substantial.

I remember once my wife and I were experiencing a bit of a trial and we were blindsided by something and didn't really know what was going on. I ran into a friend and pastor of mine. He didn't tell me, "Everything is going to be all right. Just trust God." No. He basically gave me a verbal face slap and told me to get it together because my wife needed me to be strong and to know that I knew God was in control and would, like always, take care of us. It was what I needed. It was what my wife needed from me.

The writer of Hebrews is giving us a bit of a verbal face slap. Not what we may want to hear, but, what we need to hear. I think most of the time we need to stop trying to wait to feel like God is going to work all things for good and start acting like we know God is going to work all things out for our good! 

We need to be diligent. We need to have faith and be patient because God is doing what he wants (which is working out all things for our good) in the time that he knows is best. I must tell you that I don't always get why God does things the way he does them or with the timing that he does them. But, my inability to see things from an eternal perspective does not inhibit or alter what God is doing in my life. I just need to be diligent, have faith and patiently wait on God. 

Father, help us to be diligent and wait upon you. Praise be to you in us today! Show us yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment