Thursday, August 22, 2013

HURRY UP AND REST

"Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience." Hebrews 4:11

You know, it's funny because I can fall asleep on my couch watching TV, but, I can't sleep on my couch. In a similar way the exhortation in verse 11 seems at odds with itself at first glance. How does effort result in rest?

I think it has to do with how you enter the rest. Rest the right way, you might say. The point that the author of Hebrews has been making is that the Israelites did not enter the promise land (rest) because of their unbelief, their hardened hearts. We, who heard the good news of salvation in Christ, need to receive what  God is giving us by faith. Our effort is to live by faith in Christ. 

Remember the words of Christ, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and I will find rest for your souls. My yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30). 

Father, help us to, by faith, enter that rest. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment