Monday, June 3, 2013

SELF-CONTROL, YES YOU CAN: Titus 2:2

"Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance." Titus 2:2

Society tells people and men in particular that they have very little control over their most base instincts. People are animals. Men are dogs. Some desires are just products of the evolutionary process that allows us to survive as a species. The problem for me is that is not what the Bible, God's Word teaches. 

Everyone, men and women, have fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). We are all born in sin. We all have a sinful nature.  We all need the grace of God. 

Paul instructs Titus of the grace of God that brings salvation and that it teaches us to say no to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled lives (Titus 2:11-14). This is in complete contrast to the message of the world, which is a lie and will only lead to death. 

The bottom line: If God tells me to be self-controlled, I can control myself. I can control myself when I am living by faith in Christ Jesus who died for my sins and ever lives to intercede for me. Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ!

Father, teaches us to live by faith and be self-controlled, resting in the love of Christ! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment