Monday, June 10, 2013

SELF CONTROL: Titus 2:6

"Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled." 
Titus 2:6 

If there is one thing our culture does not teach young men to be it is self-controlled. I have been dealing with middle school students for about the last eight years as an educator. So many of these boys are lacking a father figure, or at least one of any substance. Quite often the ones that I have been the strictest with, end up wanting to hang around after class. I think it has to do with I always take time to explain why I discipline them and why I won't allow them to act certain ways. 

When the Apostle Paul tells Titus to "encourage" young men he uses the word "parakaleo" which has to do with calling to one's side, admonishing, exhorting and encouraging. I get the picture of mentoring. I have three men who really mentored me when I was in High School and entering college. My wrestling coach, my youth pastor and the principal of Capernwray Bible School in England. My coach encouraged me to focus my efforts and not give up. My pastor and principal taught me to focus on Christ and bring myself under his control. None, told me it would be easy. They each just told me to do it. 

I think that's the point, just give yourself to Christ and live for him. Live under his reign. He is able to bring you through. Just follow.

Father, help us to live under the control of Christ. Thank you that you help us serve you, not our emotions or desires. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment