Thursday, June 6, 2013

ACTIONS ARE THE GAUGE OF LOVE: Titus 2:2

"Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance." 
Titus 2:2

The soundness of my love can be gauged by my actions. That is the only way I know how to honestly assess it. Some might say that it's the thought that counts, but, I guarantee my wife doesn't care if I say I love her but my attention is elsewhere

There are two kinds of people: Here I am people and there you are people. Christ came into this world, God incarnate, to serve. He did not come to earth and tour to adoring crowds. He came and healed people, sought out sinners to bring them back to God, and died in our place, for our sins upon the cross. If I get that truth, I have to love in action, not in feeling. I think in some respects everyone is a here I am person. We have to feed ourselves, take care of ourselves, provide for ourselves. But, as a Christian, I learn to die to myself and put others first, to be a there you are person.

Yesterday at work a friend was telling me how concerned about his daughter he was. She had been sick and was home with his wife. He said he just wanted to be there, not at work. It is the last week of classes with our students so there is a lot of work to be done to close out the school year, but he just wants to make sure his daughter is all right. You know, sometimes having children teaches you to die to yourself.  

To be sound in love is to love as Christ loved us. It's not about, "Here I am, Lord, love me!" It is about thanking God for his love and loving others because he first loved us. 

Lord, open our eyes to see the opportunities you place before us today to love others in your name. Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for loving us first. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment