Friday, August 14, 2015

How to Know God Loves You

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. 

To the one who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Revelation 3:19-22 NIV

In case you haven't figured it out, my purpose is to highlight a simple truth found in a given section of scripture and try to make it applicable to us today. I am not attempting to give a full on exegetical exploration and teaching. I am not against that at all. It's just that my desire for these posts is that someone can sit down and in a short amount of time focus on their relationship with God and be encouraged and or exhorted to walk by faith. 

I know the verses just preceding 19-22 are very important and often (for good reason) quoted and taught. I just want to focus on the truth that discipline is a proof that God loves us. In the duplicity of our hyper politically correct culture to disagree is often commingled with hate and opposition. Especially here in the United States. Opposing political arguments are embedded with hate. That's just not how God works. When he rebukes us and disciplines us it is not because he is opposed to us, it's because he loves us and desires that we live in righteousness. 

Think of Christ when he rebuked Peter in Matthew 16:23. Right after Peter's great confession that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, Peter tries to tell the Lord he couldn't suffer and be killed. We know how the Lord responded saying, "Get behind me. Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." Then Jesus taught them about denying themselves, picking up their crosses and truly following him. Later, after the resurrection, Christ re-affirms Peter as a shepherd of His sheep. I know many like to call it reinstating Peter, but I don't really see Christ un-instating Peter. He called Peter out, but, he didn't toss him out. He loved Peter, so he rebuked him and disciplined him. 

I think most Christians, if they are honest, at some time or another, wonder if God loves them. We often struggle because we equate love with thoughtful gifts, romantic longings and warm fuzzies. I know my parents loved me because they disciplined me even when I was seemingly unresponsive. They told me the truth, even when I didn't want to hear it. They said no, even when I begged, threatened or pleaded. I didn't enjoy it, but, I am thankful they did. Now we know that God's love is unfailing and his wisdom is omniscient. He knows the end from the beginning and and he works all things for the good of those who love him. 

So, have you been or are you being rebuked or disciplined  by the Lord? Then he loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment