Thursday, August 13, 2015

Hang On, He's Coming

I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.  Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
Revelation 3:11-13 NIV

Many moons ago. Way back in the day. High school. I was a wrestler. I don't remember many of my matches but, a few seem to hang in there in the old memory cave. Once I competed up a weight class and somehow got ahead on points. All I remember is my coach telling me to hang on for the last round. 

While most of the other churches are given a warning of some sort the church in Philadelphia is reminded that God has placed before them an open door that no one can shut. Their weakness, "little strength" is noticed. They are also recognized for keeping Christ's word and not denying his name. Their encouragement is the hope of Christ's coming, "I am coming soon." They were faithfully following Christ, but, they were getting a little worn down by the enemy. 

Does this sound familiar? I know that there are times when we need to confront a specific sin in our lives. I realize complacency can lull us to sleep. But, sometimes be are on the right path, we are, to the best of our ability, abiding in the vine. Occasionally, we are walking by faith and we just get beat up, worn down, and tired. There will be an end to the trial. There will come a time when Christ will return. 

I recall that at the end of that wrestling match I just fell over, exhausted. I hung on and won. Sometimes our walk with Christ seems to be just hanging on for dear life. That's OK. It may not be fun, but, God knows when you are trying to live by faith. He does not depend upon you, you depend upon him. That is the point. We focus on what we have in Christ and let him deal with the results. This is overcoming. This is abiding. This is what we do. 

Hold on. He's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment