Saturday, August 29, 2015

Advantage Us

Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
John 16:7

Imagine you are one of disciples and Jesus is telling you he will go away. You've chosen to spend your life following him. You know you are getting ostracized by the leaders of the community. You've gone all in and then he tells you he's leaving. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I would stunned and confused. 

But Jesus tells you it will be to your advantage. In hind sight we can understand to a certain degree what Christ meant, but, for the disciples I could see why they might struggle with it. Let's be honest here, don't we still feel the same way sometimes? We just wish to see Jesus, hear his voice, have him with us to move a mountain or turn a morsel into a meal. Sometimes there are moments we just don't sense his presence and feel alone. 

This is where faith comes in. Acting in faith is often choosing to act how you would act if Jesus was right there with you. You may not feel his presence or feel like he hears your prayers or knows your circumstances, but, you know the truth. God has unfailing love for you, he is Sovereign over all things, and he is always faithful to work our all things for good for those who love him. 

So what is the advantage? The advantage is the Holy Spirit, the Helper, the Advocate. He will come to us. Recently, God began to answer a prayer (a seven year prayer) by moving me out of the classroom into a coordinator position. I really felt good right after I was offered the position. There has been a lot that happened while I was waiting for that answer to prayer. God used me in several different ways, helping me, leading me, advocating for me. My advantage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment