Thursday, July 23, 2015

This Is How We Love

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3:16-18 NIV

I think this world struggles to know what love really is. I think sometimes we as Christians overthink it at times. I read a post the other day where someone was writing that in a relationship you needed to look for someone who sought to fulfill your needs, not just their own. It reminded me of one of my professors from college, way back in the day. He said that the problem with many relationships was it was just two people trying to get their needs met, which is like two ticks without a dog.

Christianity is not about getting our needs met. In Christ, we realize some needs are met now in Christ and others won't be fully realized until we see him face to face. Now, we get a glimpse, when we see Christ in glory we'll see it all. Christianity, as one person put it - the upside down kingdom - calls us to die to ourselves and put others first. Love is seeing an actual need and meeting it. 

One of my friends was struggling financially a few years ago and I happened to have a few dollars I felt I should use for God somehow. I got him the money anonymously. He told me that someone gave him some money and it wasn't a lot but it was a real answer to prayer because he was able to buy some food for he and his daughters. Now, I'm not trying to glorify myself because I know my own sinfulness, but, what I am trying to point out is that whatever we do in Jesus' Name will bear eternal  fruit. The point is that sometimes we see a need and we do what we can. I knew the money I gave my friend wasn't going to take away his financial problems, but, God will do what he wants with what we give. That is love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment