Friday, July 10, 2015

The Wisdom of Peace

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom... But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
James 3:13, 17-18 | NIV

When I first started teaching I taught in a pretty rough part of the hood. For a while I would take the Blue Line to work then walk about four blocks to the school I was working at. There was this older "gentleman" who would be out sweeping his walkway and the sidewalk in front of his house. From the second he saw me to the time I couldn't hear him he would cuss me out. Every day. One day I caught him just as he was looking up and said, "Good morning, how are you?" He replied, "Fine thanks, how are you?" From that day on that was the exchange. 

Sometimes wisdom is just to keep walking. Sometimes, wisdom is waiting to respond with a kind word. Seek peace. The fruit is righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment