Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Snatch With Mercy

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
Jude 1:22-23 NIV

It's amazing how important mercy is. Mercy is at the heart of our entire life as Christians. We receive mercy because Jesus died on the cross for our sins. We are merciful because as recipients of grace, we know we all need it. 

I can't think of a single relationship that I have that does not require symbiotic mercy, except with God. He gives mercy in Christ and I receive it and my only response is thanks. I need mercy and every person I will encounter and know needs mercy. Jude specifically says to be merciful to those who doubt. I really relate to apologetics. I like to talk about things with people. What I have found is that people, even people who want to argue facts or split hairs need mercy. 

I think you snatch someone from the fire with mercy, not threats. Yesterday, my son and I were eating at a Subway and this lady stuck her head in the door and shouted something about sin, grace and God and that God loves everyone and, "God bless you." One little kid said, "What the heck was that?!" A server behind the counter told one of the patrons (whom she apparently at least knew as a frequent customer), "That was for you!" and laughed. He didn't think it was that funny so it probably hit a sore spot. I respect that she was trying to serve the Lord, I'm just not sure it had the affect she was looking for. But, is there someone in your life that needs mercy? Your offer of mercy could snatch them form the fire and save them. So, don't be afraid if the opportunity arises, offer mercy because we all need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment