Monday, July 13, 2015

Control Is Yours

Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 
1 Peter 1:13 NIV

Have ever heard someone say, "Just go with your heart." (Maybe you said it?) You can find the scripture for that in I Fleshalonians. Well, actually, the Bible tells us that the heart is deceitfully and beyond cure (Jeremiah 17:9). 

I may not be able to control my emotions but, I can choose my actions and reactions. One of the great lies of the devil is that we are subject to our emotions. Acting against what we feel is, according to the world, dishonest. No, acting according to my emotions can prove to be not only foolish, but, very costly. 

The Bible, here in I Peter tells us to "prepare your minds for action". We do need to think ahead. How do we prepare our minds for action? We can choose ahead of time to try to act in humility (I am a sinner too), mercy (Christ was and is merciful to me) and grace (God does not treat us as our sins deserve, otherwise we'd all be wiped out). Remember, we are here to demonstrate the love of Christ to the world, not inform everyone else where they fall short of the glory of God. Control is ours, but we must choose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment