Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Know Who You Are and Be Who You Are



When I married my wife she had two wonderful boys. When it became evident that we were probably going to get married I told the boys they could either call me by my name or dad. I also said that I would call them sons but never step-sons because that had (in my mind) some negative connotations about not really being mine and I would do my best to treat them like I would if they were my own flesh and blood. To this day, and I am very proud of this, they still call me dad even though they moved out and are living as men for awhile now. 

I remember the first Father's Day at church and my wife nudging me and saying, "You're a father now, stand up." I was like, "Oh ya, that's right." It wasn't that I didn't want to stand up, it's just that I'd never been a father on Father's Day. I remembered, I stood up a bit self-consciously, and took the blessing and prayer. 

These verses from Peter are a bit of a reminder to us of who we are and what we are supposed to stand up and be.  You are chosen by God. You are part of a priesthood. You belong to God. You are here to declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness and into his wonderful light. You are now part of the people of God. You have received mercy.  Awesome! Know who you are in Christ and be who you are in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment