Friday, July 3, 2015

Because, That's Why

How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! 
For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.
Hebrews 9:14-15 NIV (emphasis mine)

When I was a kid we used to have stupid arguments and sometimes one person would say, "Ya, but why?" and the other person would say, "Because, that's why." Now, the message of Hebrews, especially in these verses, is not some silly argument, rather, it one of crucial importance to our faith. 

The writer of Hebrews takes chapters six, seven, eight, nine and ten, to solidify in our hearts and minds the truth about the ministry of Christ as our High Priest. Christ's sacrifice sets us free from sin. His blood cleansed us so that we can serve him, the living God. 

Our conscience, sometimes paralyzes us. We fixate on the act of our sin. We need to fixate on the act of Christ. His sacrifice, which was once for all. For me, one truth that I must remember is that Christ didn't die to give me a second chance to be good enough, he died to cleanse me from all sin, so that I might serve the living God. If I am cleansed then I need to be focusing on serving him, not being good enough to serve him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment