Monday, June 2, 2014

OK, Break It Up

“Break up your unplowed ground
   and do not sow among thorns. 
Circumcise yourselves to the Lord,
   circumcise your hearts,
Jeremiah 4:3c-4a (NIV)


I am not a farmer, but, I have had a garden. I did learn that you have to plow the ground before you sow the seeds. As a Christian, sometimes I do need to break up the hardness of my heart. I think self examination, confession and thankfulness are tools we can use to allow the Spirit of God to break up the hardness of our hearts.

By self examination I mean taking an honest look at yourself in prayer and while reading the Bible. 

We are all sinners. Our best is like filthy rags. Get real. Get honest. God is just waiting for you to get real. (See I John 1:9)

Be thankful. I believe true thankfulness is laced with humility because I know how sinful I am and how holy God is. 

Father, help us to allow the Spirit to break up the unplowed ground of our hearts. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment