Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Know You Are In Christ

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not  do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. 
I John 2:3-6 

Many moons ago I attended Capernwray Bible School, in England. One of my roommates was from Kenya and every afternoon he would go through a little karate routine. One day one of the fellas asked him, "Do you really know karate? OK, hit me!" He said he didn't want to hurt anyone, so this guy from Canada went at him and knocked him down. After that every time the kid did his little routine someone would would go at him shouting, "Show me some karate!" It was obvious he didn't really know karate no matter what he said.

In the same way just because we call ourselves Christians, read the Bible, go to church, sing songs and go through all the motions, that doesn't make us Christians. The danger of course is that the enemy will just come at us and knock us down. Just like the seven sons of Sceva in Acts 19:13-17 were beaten by the man with the evil spirit we might be beat up if we really don't know Christ. I don't want to be judgemental here. Because I believe if God can save me and his Spirit can move in me, God can work in anyone. My point is that at some point we should be able to say that we love others because Christ loved us first. Our love will be imperfect but, covered by his grace, it will cover over a multitude of sins.

Father, help us to love as you loved us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment