Saturday, May 31, 2014

Recognize Your Training

It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You make your saving help my shield,
   and your right hand sustains me;
   your help has made me great.
You provide a broad path for my feet,
   so that my ankles do not give way.
Psalms 18:32-36 (NIV)


There will be battles. My youngest son and I have been watching the History Channel and the world wars has been the subject. One of the observations I had was that great leaders, great generals prepare their soldiers, not just lead them. In the same way, Christ, our leader trains us. In a way each trial, each testing of our faith is a preparation for the next trial. 

Sometimes I think my problem is that I look at each trial as a depletion of spiritual energy rather than a training and strengthening of my inner being in Christ. Proper exercise may get me tired at the moment but, in the end strengthens me. Likewise, the trials Christ has brought me through prepare me and strengthen me for the battles ahead. 

Stop for just a moment and let the Spirit of God remind you of what your recent "training" has been...what has God been strengthening? Be careful to not get fixated on what you think the issue is but discern what you have been learning. I have been going through some trials/training and I have been fixated on the idea that I needed to learn to hold my tongue (which I do). But, that has not really been what I have been learning. My "training" has more to do with dealing with new challenges that put everyone around me in chaos. 

How are you being strengthened?

No comments:

Post a Comment