Monday, June 23, 2014

Faith Is Not a Second Chance

As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us—eternal life.
1 John 2:24-25 (NIV)

I remember when I first gave my life to Christ. I knew that my salvation was all about Jesus. Although I had attended church virtually my whole life I recognized that something was definitely missing. 

One of the well meaning but false teachings I had to overcome was that in Christ we have a second chance. What that turns into is that we have a second chance to be good enough. Of course we can never be good enough because our best, our righteousness is at best filthy rags. God does not give you a second chance to be good enough. That would be salvations by works. He gives you salvation by faith. He offers you forgiveness in Jesus Christ. 

Your work is to remain in Jesus. In a sense this is like driving a car in a race. You have to finish the race in the car, you can't get out of the car and walk across the finish line. In the same way, you don't spend your life having faith in Christ as your Savior and Lord and then finish in your own righteousness. What I heard from the beginning of my life in Christ was that it was all about Jesus, he is my righteousness, holiness and redemption (I Corinthians 1:30). That never changes. That is the good news, the gospel. 

If you have gotten out of Christ, get back in Christ. Remain in him. Remember to remain in Christ is to live by faith in his finished work on the cross. 

Father, thank you for salvation, that we can live by faith in Christ. Help us to walk by faith in Christ, to remain in him. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment