Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Repelling and Remaining in Christ

   And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. 
   If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him.
1 John 2:28-29 (NIV)

My youngest son and I went on a zip-line adventure a few weekends ago. It was a blast! The tour also featured a few rappelling sections. I have to tell you that feeling of leaning out backwards just freaks me out. I could tell it made my son feel a bit unsure too. You just have to trust the guides are not going to ask you to do something you can't do.  

Now we know that the Father is not going to ask us to do something we can't do by faith. Remaining or abiding in Christ is not dependant on my righteousness. But, remaining or abiding in Christ produces the fruit of righteousness. Living by faith in Christ's as my righteousness, is remaining in him. I sometimes get the paralysis of analysis. For example in this case I realize my own sinfulness to the point that even if I do the right thing I probably do it with self serving motives. The truth is that God is not asking me (you) to be perfect, he is asking me (you) to act in faith that he will work all things for the good. 

Yes I was a bit unsure when I leaned back to repel down that tree, hanging in mid air, but the rope held and I repelled down to the next landing. In the same way acting in faith sometimes puts us out in midair trusting that the Lord will keep us from falling. Love as best you can and trust Christ to do what he died and rose again to do, make us children of God righteous in him. 

Father, though our sins be a scarlet and our righteousness like filthy rags, you make us righteous in Christ. Thank you and praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment